Sunday, March 13, 2011

5: The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami



This book of short stories is translated into English from Japanese and it's a little on the dark side of humor. Most of the stories start out with really strange situations of Japanese people and their lives. At first, it was hard to completely get into reading it, but after the first story ended I didn't really want to put it down. Since then I've read it multiple times. The stories are so good that I find it hard to pick my favorites, but if I had to it would be Sleep and The Second Bakery Attack.
Sleep is about a women who finds herself unable to sleep for seventeen days. In that seventeen days she begins to do things while her husband is at work and her son is at school that isn't exactly her normal routine. She ends up drinking bourbon, eating a ton of chocolate, rereading the book Anna Karenina, and going for swims in the gym pool. This story reminds me of my days in high school where I would find myself doing random things due to insomnia. I feel like I could relate because it's something you don't want to tell anybody because it's nice to be out of the normal routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment