Monday, February 21, 2011

2: Fire and Ice by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

I don't normally read poetry but I do remember this particular poem from when I read it in high school. I like reading it aloud because of it's rhyming scheme and the way it rolls off the tongue. It's almost like music. I think that when he says "fire" that he means things like hate, jealousy, greed, and lust, which are among the more stronger emotions. "Ice" seems to be more like ignorance, depression, and antipathy. I agree that "ice" will definitely work in destroying the world, but that it takes longer than "fire" which is why "fire" will be first. This poem makes me think about controlling my emotions before they control me whether they are fire or ice because either is bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment