Friday, April 1, 2011

7: The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath



I knew before I read this that it was supposed to be about a girl that's depressed, which made me believe I wouldn't like it very much. My best friend read it and convinced me that I would love it, which she usually is right, so I did end up reading it. The story is about Esther Greenwood who is a college girl that is fantastically smart and beautiful. She wins a fashion magazine contest by being a writer which lands her a trip to New York where she gets to know the twelve other girls there. including Doreen. Slowly she starts to lose her mind and swirls into the dark funnel of insanity.
I've had issues with depression all throughout my life and so I tend to steer clear of books like this for fear I might realize how much I relate to them. In this case, with Esther's decisions and reasoning, I found that I didn't relate to it as much as I thought I would. Although, some quotes from the book did strike a chord with me. It's good to know that just because you have similar issues with a character doesn't mean that everything else is similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment