Friday, April 8, 2011

8: Proof by David Auburn



As soon as I read about what the play Proof was about I had to read it. I really love mathematics and so I felt like I could really connect with the main character, Catherine. Catherine is a math major and her father, Robert, is a mathematical genius who has slowly gone mentally downhill as he ages. Catherine opts to stay with her father while her older sister, Claire, moves to New York to live. Eventually her father is so sick that Catherine has to stop going to school.After he Robert dies, one of his students, Hal, visits the house to go through the 101 notebooks that Robert wrote in.
Catherine thinks that she has her father's talent and also, his mental instability. Hal thinks he found something amazing and thinks Catherine knows what it is. It's like a detective story, which I thoroughly enjoy. I found that sometimes you might be so caught up in thinking that you have to be a certain way that you actually cut yourself off from what you really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment